We are so excited to share this interview with you guys! If you don't know who Lewis Howes is he is an ex professional football player now New York times Best Selling Author, entrepreneur genius and Podscast legend (The School Of Greatness). Lewis is a class act guy who takes his health and wellness very seriously. We hope you guys enjoy this interview as much as we have!
1) Tell us a little about yourself! How did you get started in writing and podcasts and what drives you?
I was never a strong writer (almost failed English all through school) and I was terrified of public speaking, let alone interviewing people on a podcast that millions of people listen to. But after my dream of playing professional football was crushed by an injury, I knew I had to reinvent myself. I got into social media early on and learned how to master it, then coached others to do the same, and that led to blogging, speaking, and eventually podcasting. Now my goal is to inspire 100 million to build a business and life around doing what they love.
2) How important is your nutrition to you being someone in the public eye? Do you have any tips for someone looking to start and maintain a fitness routine?
Health and fitness is everything when it comes to business or athletic performance. If I'm eating right, working out, and sleeping well, I feel unstoppable. When any of that slips, I notice it right away in my business, relationships, and energy. No matter how busy I get, I do my best to keep a consistent diet and workout habit going because I know it's my best support system.
3) Can you tell us a little bit about the challenges you have faced over the years from just starting out to coming into more success?
Too many to count, but to name a few, when I got injured playing football, I was broke, depressed, clueless, and living on my sister's couch for a year and a half. I felt pretty worthless and had no idea what I was going to do. Even after I started to get some success coaching people how to use LinkedIn and making money on webinars, I was still working crazy hours and my health went down the tubes. Then I had to form new habits and continue to build my network and opportunities from scratch since I'd never been good in school. I sold my company and started over again when I launched my podcast and brand, The School of Greatness. It's been a learning curve the past 10 years everyday, but I wouldn't trade it.
4) What is your life motto?
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."
5) Do you have a favorite go-to healthy snack?
Green juice (fresh or powdered like Athletic Greens) or smoothies made with whole foods and clean protein powder.
6) What's a day in the life of Lewis look like?
It really changes everyday depending on what I've got going on, but I try to start every day with gratitude, a workout and a clean breakfast. Then I check in with my team, maybe record a great podcast interview, meetings with influencers, and strategy to move our big goals forward. I'm all about taking action daily. I love meeting up with friends for dinner or seeing a movie to chill out.
7) Are you a goal setter? If so, has it helped you in your career or in any other areas of your life and do you find it important to have goals?
Goals and visualization have been huge for me, since I was a young athlete. I would visualize every game, goal, or achievement I wanted for months, sometimes years, before it happened. I did the same with my NYT bestselling book, going on the Ellen show, etc. Goals are what keep me focused on taking consistent, forward action day in and day out. I know it won't happen if I don't commit to a goal.
8) Do you have a favorite exercise routine?
I like to mix it up so I don't get bored, but it usually includes lifting, cardio, HITT, Crossfit, or a pickup game of basketball.
9) In three words describe your mission in life?
Inspire continued greatness
10) Where can we connect with you and what is a project that you are currently working on that we should keep an eye out for?